Susan G. Komen® Houston conducts a Community Profile, also called a community needs assessment, specifically looking at breast health and breast cancer in our seven county service area. The Profile includes demographics, breast health statistics, an assessment of breast health services and a survey of the community’s beliefs about breast health and access to care.
The Community Profile helps establish priorities that guide grant distributions and improve educational programs of the Komen Houston Affiliate. The Community Profile facilitates a better understanding of breast health services for the seven county service area by identifying and prioritizing the areas of most need.
The 2016 funding priorities for Komen Houston are:
- Fund programs that use innovative or evidence-based approaches through collaboration that result in documented linkages to local breast cancer screening, diagnostic, treatment, survivorship, follow up care and end of life services among:
- Selected areas of Galveston County
- the Komen Houston service area for African Americans, Chambers and Liberty Counties and selected areas of Harris County
- Selected areas of Brazoria, Fort Bend and Montgomery Counties
- Fund the development of a patient navigation protocol to assist those with insurance under ACA find breast health services.
For more on the funding priorities, review our Executive Summary of the 2015 Komen Houston Community Profile.
Executive Summary of Community Profile - Download the PDF