Pasadena Citizen - News for 25th Anniversary Komen Race

Article from the Pasadena Citizen News, October 3, 2015. 

Pink, spooky and Halloween-themed costumes will make their way through Sam Houston Park in downtown Houston for this year’s Susan G. Komen Houston 25th annual Race for the Cure.

Held on Halloween this year, Race for the Cure is not only celebrating the holiday in fashion but also celebrating their 25th anniversary.

Race organizers are determined to make this year’s race the biggest one ever and raise enough money to provide for 25,000 mammograms to uninsured and under-served residents throughout the Houston area.

“This year is really exciting for us because it is the Susan G. Komen Houston affiliate’s 25th anniversary,” Betsy Kamin, Race for the Cure race chair, said. “We want to celebrate this anniversary and all of the work that has been put for 25 years by having the biggest race ever. This year’s race is on Halloween which we hope will bring out some great pink costumes.

“The real focus of this year’s race is fund the 250,000 mammograms. Essentially, if every participant raised at least $150, this will become a reality. Early detection is key for breast cancer and we want to help those women who might not have access to mammograms or medical care.”

In honor of Komen Houston’s 25 years of service, Komen Houston is offering a discounted race registration price of $25 for adults and $10 for children, 17 and under, for the Race for the Cure.

The theme for this year’s race is “Pink or Treat,” and families are invited to bring everyone out, even the children, where they can trick-or-treat at the event and wear costumes.

Additionally, Susan G. Komen Houston is thankful to their community partners who help them to raise funds throughout the year.

“Every year, we have local companies in the area that raise money for breast cancer awareness research and treatment,” Adriana M. Higgins, executive director of Komen Houston. “These various groups will come up with their own kind of fundraiser and donate the money raised to Susan G. Komen Houston.

“One example is the dealer, Jeep Power House, who gathered all of their jeep owners, had a fundraiser, and at the culmination of the fundraiser, they caravanned out to Galveston Beach where they took a picture and raised $14,000 for the Komen Houston affiliate.”

Also, select nail salons throughout the Houston area hosted a #maniCUREmonday where they donated 15 percent of the proceeds to Susan G. Komen Houston throughout the month of September.

This event is unique in that 100 percent of the proceeds are allocated to the Susan G. Komen mission; 75 percent of the net income stays in the Houston community to help fund local programs providing breast health education, breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25 percent of the net income supports the Susan G. Komen Grants program.

“For the past 25 years, Komen Houston has donated $48 million into our community,” Kamin said. “We have funded 63 very deserving organizations everything from MD Anderson to The Rose; we reach a seven-county service area and have helped to fund everything from mammography screening to services such as helping women get to-and-from their treatments and clinical trials.”

The 25th annual Race for the Cure will be held Saturday, Oct. 31 at Sam Houston Park and is predominately located on the inbound and outbound lanes of Allen Parkway.

Registration is from 6-8:30 a.m., 7:45 a.m. is the Opening Ceremonies and Memorial Birds Release, 8 a.m. kicks off the 5K Timed Competitive Run, 8:10 a.m. the 5K Non-Competitive Run, at 8:25 a.m. the Family Walk/Kids K by National Oilwell Varco, 8:40 a.m. the 5K Walk, 9:15 a.m. is the Runners Award Ceremony and 10:30 a.m. is the Survivor Celebration by Baker Hughes.

For more information on Race for the Cure or volunteer opportunities, visit

PDF of the original article posted below.