HOUSTON, TX (July 26, 2013) - The Houston Affiliate of Susan G. Komen® has announced the availability of grant funding for 2014-2015 for breast cancer education, screening, treatment and support services in Southeast Texas.
In 2012, the Houston Affiliate was ranked number two among 122 national Komen affiliates for granting the most funds to the local community. In 2012-2013, Komen Houston continued its commitment to granting the most money possible by awarding $2.9 million to 22 community organizations, including every county in its seven county service area is being funded. This money provides services such as breast cancer screening, educational outreach, treatment and support projects for the medically underserved and uninsured.
Since its inception, the Komen Houston Affiliate Grants Program has granted more than $45 million in its seven county service area which includes Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty and Montgomery Counties. The Affiliate’s strict granting process ensures the impartial allocation of funds to qualified 501c3 organizations helping countless breast cancer survivors and their families get the treatment and support they need.
The granting process for the 2014-2015 year begins August 9, 2013 and ends November 15, 2013. In order to apply for funding, an organization representative must attend a Grant Writing Workshop, which are scheduled to be held on August 7 and 16 in the Houston area.
Currently, the Komen Houston Affiliate is seeking to fund organizations to meet or fulfill the following priority areas:
• Increase breast cancer education and reduce cultural barrier for underserved, minority and high risk populations
• Increase education about risk assessment, screening options and screening recommendations to providers and women at greater risk of developing breast cancer before age 40
• Increase patient navigation services from initial screening to treatment
• Increase knowledge about community resources by developing a patient navigator’s network for navigators employed in breast health service
• Increase access and quality of care of breast cancer screening, diagnostic and treatment services to underserved and uninsured women, especially in rural areas
• Increase quality of and access to follow-up medical care, support services, transportation services, and end of life care for underserved and uninsured breast cancer survivors
• Increase education related to breast cancer clinical trials for underserved and minority women
To obtain the Request for Application and more information about the granting process, please visit http://www.komen-houston.org/index.php/grants/. Applications will be available starting August 9.
WHAT: Komen Houston Affiliate Mandatory Grant Writing Workshops
WHEN: August 7 and 16; 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (Admission is free and organizations must attend one of the offered sessions)
WHO: Organizations applying for grant funding from the Komen Houston Affiliate
WHERE: The United Way of Greater Houston, located at 50 Waugh Drive, Houston, TX 77007
QUESTIONS: Feel free to contact Ginny Thompson Kirklin, Mission Director at email@example.com or 713-783-9188 ext. 104
About The Houston Affiliate of Susan G. Komen®
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer. In 1982 that promise became Susan G. Komen®, launching the global breast cancer movement and the largest group of volunteers and grassroots advocates to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all, and energize science to find the cures.
Established in 1990 by passionate volunteers to support the individuals in need throughout the Houston area, the Houston Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has granted over $45 million to local programs for breast cancer education and awareness campaigns, life saving screening and treatment programs, and innovative cutting edge research. Serving Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty and Montgomery counties, Komen Houston continues its commitment to fundraising and grant making so that families battling breast cancer can get the treatment and support they need.
If you would like to learn about volunteer opportunities, get information about the Houston Race for the Cure® and other events, visit http://www.komen-houston.org or call 713-783-9188.