2015 Pink Honor Roll Spotlight - Jo Ann Castilleja

This year, Jo Anna ranked #19 on the 2015 Pink Honor Roll for her phenomenal fundraising efforts in raising $8,491 to support Komen Houston’s mission – to save lives and end breast cancer forever.  She supports in loving memory of her mother, Rosa Maria Castilleja, who lost her fight to triple negative breast cancer in 2008.  Her mother was a fighter and Jo Anna seeks to do her part to help others.  

Triple negative breast cancer is a form of breast cancer in which there is no expression of estrogen receptors, progesterone receptors or Her2/neu, and there are currently no approved targeted therapies for these types of cancer cells.  Jo Anna understands the importance of raising awareness, particularly to Hispanic women, about triple negative breast cancer.  Her favorite part about being involved with Komen Houston is the opportunity to give back locally as Houston is one of the best places for cancer treatment.  In fact 75% of the money raised is fund local community programs that offer breast health education, screening and treatment services to the undeserved and underinsured.  The remainder 25% is allocated to breast cancer research.  “Throughout the years, I have been able to meet and talk to doctors that are leading the research on this disease.  Personally I have seen the increased funding and research in triple negative breast cancer which is my reason to support.” Jo Anna says.

Komen Houston was instrumental in helping Jo Anna’s family understand her mother's disease.  “It was a great support system that my Mom found as she walked as survivor in 2007.  The Race is very important to us because it gave my family a way for us to be able to walk together, alongside others facing the disease and in honor of many loved one, like we do for my Mom every year.” Jo Anna shares.  

Jo Anna is a member of corporate Team Shell/Motiva, with over 40 others who are passionate about making a difference.  Team Shell/Motiva is organized by the Shell Women's network.  The morning of the Race, they meet at One Shell Plaza for a warm up/stretching by our Wellness team.  There offer light snacks and coffee, and take some time to put on their in honor of/in memory of signs – after all that is the driving force of why they support this important fight.