The current funding priorities are:
1. Programs to increase breast cancer education and reduce cultural barriers for underserved, minority and high risk populations to increase breast cancer screening rates.
2. Programs to increase education about risk assessment, screening options and screening recommendations for providers and women at greater risk of developing breast cancer before age 40.*
*Women who are diagnosed at a younger age are more likely to have a mutated BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene. Having a mother, father, daughter or sister who has had breast cancer also increases a young woman’s risk of developing breast cancer.
3. Programs to increase patient navigation services from initial screening to treatment in order to increase screening rates, reduced time from abnormal results to treatment and increase the number of women who complete treatment.
4. Programs to increase knowledge about breast health resources for underserved, minority and high risk populations by developing a patient navigators’ network for navigators employed in breast health services.
5. Programs to increase access to care and quality breast cancer screening, diagnostic and treatment services to underserved women, especially in Chambers and Liberty counties.
6. Programs to increase quality of and access to follow up medical care, support services, transportation services, end of life services and other services to decrease the burden of illness and increase quality of life for underserved breast cancer survivors.
7. Programs to increase education related to breast cancer clinical trials for underserved and minority women
For more on the funding priorities, please review 2011 Community Profile documents at http://komen-houston.org/susan-g-komen-houston-funding-priorities/.
2016-2017 Grant Cycle Important Dates
Mandatory Gant Writing Workshop: September 2 or 11 from 9 am to 3 pm
Susan G. Komen® Houston
602 Sawyer St., 2nd Floor Conference Room
Houston, TX 77007
Application Deadline November 13, 2015
Award Notification March 2016
Award Period April 1, 2016 - March 31, 2017
2015 Flyer for Grant Writing Workshop View as PDF
The Community Grant Program seeks to fund breast cancer screening, educational outreach, treatment and support projects for the medically underserved and uninsured in Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty and Montgomery Counties.
The Request for Applications will be posted in September.
Inquiries should be addressed or directed to 713-783-9188 or email@example.com. Please allow adequate time before deadline for response to any inquiry.