The purpose of the Advocacy Taskforce is to educate our elected officials and governmental agencies on breast cancer and encourage their active support of our mission to end breast cancer forever.
We need to tell them what Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization is doing to find a cure, provide education, screening, and treatment in our seven county area. The taskforce helps educate and activate voters on these issues.
Houston Public Policy
The purpose of the Public Policy Committee is to educate our elected officials and governmental agencies on breast cancer and encourage their active support of our mission to end breast cancer forever. We need to tell them what Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization is doing to find a cure, provide education, screening, and treatment in our seven county area. The committee helps educate and activate voters on these issues.
Leaders In Pink Initiative
Inspired by a campaign at the Global Race for the Cure in May 2009 in Washington, DC, the Komen Houston Affiliate has launched its second Leaders In Pink Challenge for our own Komen Houston Race for the Cure®.
The challenge is being led by Honorary Chair Representative Ellen Cohen, a breast cancer survivor of nearly 40 years. On behalf of the Komen Houston Affiliate, Representative Cohen has sent letters extending a challenge to form Race teams to our Governor and Lieutenant Governor as well as state senators, state representatives, and mayors across the Komen Houston Affiliate service area.
By engaging these public figures in the Race for the Cure, we hope to increase opportunities to educate these officials about breast health needs and resources for their constituents in our community. Together, we hope that inspiring one more team for the Race will raise awareness and help connect more women and men to breast health services and increase support through legislative and local initiatives.
At the national level, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Advocacy Alliance recently published its position on health care reform by outlining bi-partisan expectations for Congress.
In keeping with our mission to “save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures”, Komen Advocacy Alliance has stated:
Cancer patients and survivors have some of the most challenging experiences with the health care system at a time in their lives when they are most vulnerable. Thus, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Advocacy Alliance calls on Congress to:
- Increase the investment in federal and state programs that provide cancer screening, treatment and patient navigation services for underserved populations.
- Protect cancer patients who have health insurance from excessive out-of-pocket costs that may lead to severe financial hardship and even bankruptcy.
- Ensure access to affordable, high-quality health insurance for all, including people with “pre-existing” conditions like cancer - so everyone can continue to have health insurance, even if they lose or change jobs.
- Enhance the quality and value of health care by focusing on prevention, wellness and chronic disease management.
- Address the chronic shortage of cancer care specialists, particularly in underserved areas.